Thursday, September 24, 2009

School Starts Again and I Use An Unusual Word

September 21st-22nd: Monday & Tuesday

I have had trouble sleeping lately which is really unusual for me. One of the things I am most thankful for is my ability to sleep pretty much anywhere when I am tired. However I the last two nights I haven’t been able to fall asleep tell past 1:00. Sunday I didn’t run so I guess I can understand how I managed to stay up tell nearly 3:00 but Monday and Tuesday both I put in a good run and had gotten up fairly early in the morning. It’s very strange. Perhaps it is simply the illusion that I am not sleeping since I have been having crazy dreams that tend to blend into waking. Perhaps I simply thing I am still awake because my brain is dreaming and churning.

Monday was a holiday from school (some Muslim thing) so I spent the day in town on the web. That afternoon I helped shell corn with a bunch of the young people from the church. They spent all day shelling corn, sorting the harvest, etc… had a fun time. I love listening to them chatter in Swahili although I really wish I could understand what they were talking about. Jimbo called which was good. We were able to talk for about an hour the entire time I was standing outside the house/compound and these two little kids, Willie and someone where hanging on me and playing with the fire that was burning the waste from the harvest and hitting each other with cornstalks.

School started up again Tuesday. It’s good to be back. I love hanging out with these little kids. They don’t judge me by the fact that I am white and they don’t try to exploit me. Honestly I was a little burnt out when school took a break a couple weeks ago but I am very thankful to be back. I have a little buddy. He’s my favorite. I like him because he doesn’t get angry and fight with the other kids when he can’t sit in my lap. He doesn’t demand attention and he is perfectly happy just to sit on my lap or stand by me. Plus he doesn’t drag/yank/jerk/pull/jump on me. Also he is adorable looking. Whenever I’m in his class or he is walking by he’ll give me the thumbs up sign. Pretty cool little dude.

Running was really rough Monday. I went right before dark when everyone was walking home from work/school/lounging around. Honestly I took a lot of abuse and I was really mad and frustrated. Did a hundred lunges and put in a good time though. Tuesday was much better. I went earlier in the day and although I fagged out in the first couple miles I stuck with it and did a solid 6 miles. Much less comments as well.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted you to know I love your blogs. I miss you every day, but God's got his plans for you. Sleep is an enormous gift -- appreciated best when you don't get it. I'll pray for you.

    ReplyDelete