Tuesday, September 8, 2009

In Which I Discover Signs Of Civilized Life and Have To Say Goddbye

September 4th-5th: Friday-Saturday

Friday I went and helped out at the school as usual in the morning. That morning the kids learned colors in English which was really hard. Some of the kids picked it up really quickly but some of them really struggled with it and I’m not sure they ever got it. Break time was a bit hard on Friday. Dave, another volunteer was gone so I had all the kids crawling on me. Also they kept getting into fights which is hard because I can’t understand why because they all speech Swahili.

Saturday there is no school. However Amen and Gloria are going back to school today. They go to a Christian boarding school about a half hour drive from their house outside of Moshi. That afternoon I came along with the rest of the family as we dropped them off and got them registered. They realized they had forgotten toilet paper so Unity and I went back and had to buy some at a little supermarket by the road. While we were there I saw a National Geographic. September 09. I didn’t have enough money to get on me but I’ll track one down somehow. Now that I know they are in country. I only brought two books with me to Tanzania and I have been reading a lot more here sop I have finished one and am about half way through the other. I’m going to need some reading material very soon.

That night at dinner and that evening was a lot different with Amen and Gloria gone. I am really going to miss those guys.

I almost forgot. Saturday morning I went to the internet cafĂ© and on the way I was offered pot. I think. This guy passed me in the street and he says “Hey brother, want to smoke some (I have no idea what he said but it sounded like) maushi?” I smiled and shook my head and he yelled after me, “Come on man you got to smoke something! you can’t just smoke s—t!” potheads are all the same all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment