Thursday, September 24, 2009

Racing Children

September 18th-20th: Friday-Sunday

Running has been really interesting lately. In terms of actually running I have felt great. Friday I put in a good run. Saturday I ran a 6 mile loop that combined a few different runs. Felt great. Thought I put in a really good time and kept up a good pace etc… that evening then a quarter after six I ran again. This was a short 4 miler. In terms of pace it was the hardest run I have done here. I pushed it the whole way and just cruised. Wings on my feet. However after the initial shock of seeing a white guy running people seem to have taken me as a great joke and never pass up a chance to mock/laugh at me. the one up side I suppose is that the kids will race me when I come especially if I say “twege” which means “let’s go”. So that is a plus I guess.

I have been doing a bit of research into maybe being able to travel to Zanzibar while I am here. Maybe take a couple days and go hang out there. It would be more fun if I had someone to go with but I don’t think I can just let an adventure like Zanzibar pass me by without taking a stab at it. Hopefully it won’t be too expensive. Its funny quite a few of the sites I have looked at concerning Zanzibar are for honeymoon/romantic getaways. So they go into “romantic evenings” and “self-contained beds”. Not the information I need/want but thanks.

Saturday after my run I went into town and did a few hours of email/web surfing. I wondered around a bit and ended up at Deli Chez where I ordered sushi. Prawn and squid. Sat alone and tried not to watch the couples. The prawn was really good and the squid was a bit chewy but fine. Not my favorite but not bad either. After that I walked around and bought some roast corn from one of the vender guys. Very yummy. After dinner on Saturday we watched a really good football game. Liverpool and someone, I forget. Really close but Liverpool managed to win 3-2. great game.

Sunday I slept in for the third day in the row. It’s really easy to sleep in tell 7:30. all you have to do is set your alarm clock to like 6:00 and then just ignore it. I listened to an Alfred sermon before church.

That evening I finally finished Alfred Hitchcock’s’ Rebecca. A really good movie. Great plot twists and suspenseful like all of Hitchcock’s movies. After praying that night I went to bed at the normal time but couldn’t fall asleep. Lay awake for about an hour and then gave up. Watched the Bicycle Thief an old foreign film. Actually watched about 20 minutes of it before I managed to switch the language to English. Apparently you have to start the movie and then turn it to English, not vice versa. A really good movie. Raw, emotionally that is. Actually a stunning movie. I suggest it to anyone. Finally fell asleep around 2:00am Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment