Monday, September 14, 2009

Confusion of The Metric System and More Tormenta En Paradisio

September 10th-11th: Thursday and Friday

Woke up Thursday after dreaming of brownies. Dreamt I was at a party with Josiah Bartlett and a table was laid out with platters and platters of brownies. Woke up with the worst cravings of my entire life. Is this what being pregnant is like? I suppose if I was pregnant I would have gone and thrown up.

Thursday and Friday at school were good. I have been helping the kids and teaching some. I don’t feel completely useless because there are three teachers and three classes so if a teacher is ever gone yours truly is promoted. After this week primary school has a two week break.

Friday I say Mt. Kilimanjaro for the first time since my first day. It’s incredibly beautiful. Went running on Thursday. Did my Mo-town loop which follows our neighborhood westward and then loops around and follows the southern most road of Moshi town before the tracks and loops back around east of us and I follow it down to njoro. Took me 43 minutes. I wasn’t happy with that time at all so I did it again Friday and knocked it down to 39 minutes. I figure it’s about a 5 mile, 8 kilometer route since I could do 4 miles in a half hour in Uganda. Say a sign when I was running.

Honeymoon Guest House

Self Contained Beds

Big Bed 6x6

Now I thought that’s pretty funny on its own. However, if you think about it this country uses the metric system. What does 6x6 mean? 6 meters by 6 meters? That’s 19.5x19.5 ft. that’s almost 400 square feet.

Thursday afternoon a bunch of us went to a church west of us and sang with some guys from over there. It was pretty fun. On the walk over I learned a bunch of new Swahili words. We finished around 8:30 so Unity came and gave us a ride and I got to ride in the back which was a lot of fun. You can see all the stars here.

Friday afternoon there was the first of several crusades here. It is based around a guy from the US, Morris Johnson. So at around 5 walked over to where it is being held at a dirt soccer field between here and Moshi town. Singing and dancing until Morris showed up. Then he gave a brief speech and then healed some people. After that I spent a fun Friday night sitting in my room listening to music, eating Pringles and losing more games of solitaire than is healthy for my self esteem. Stayed up really late, tell 10:00.

Some more favorite lines from Tormenta en Paradisio. “I am a free spirited man, the only women who could tame me is Mermaid, and she is gone forever.” “Its going to be a hard day, I’m going to go take a bath!”

No comments:

Post a Comment