Thursday, September 3, 2009

On the Road to Jinja

August 24th-25th

Monday there was a mission meeting so all the missionaries from Mbale drove up in the morning and Craig and Bob went to attend. Before they left they sent Tom and a couple of other boys to go get some stones for cement. Moses, Iriama Paul, Lokwii Bon and I dug holes for posts outside the workshop for poles to help support the extended roof. We had to dig three feet down and two ft. by two ft. I dug two holes before the three Africans had finished their one. After the mission meeting ended that afternoon I cut some wire mesh for some partitions at the clinic and then painted the finished pieces.

That afternoon Jim and I went on a really fun run. Then after dinner we watched Bella. Man what a great movie. I love it because of the themes of grief, and regret but also of hope and redemption. It is a very sad movie but it has hope too. Also the soundtrack is great.

Tuesday I worked until 3:00 with a break for lunch and then went and changed and packed for Jim and my trip to Jinja to pick up Jenny. Jenny is a nurse who is coming for about a year. She is fresh out of medical school and she is staying in the Eldeens house while they are in America so she needs to get up here so Craig and Kris can show her around. The Tricarico’s are taking her as far as Jinja and then they are going to have a family vacation there. Jim and I are going down to pick her up and also pick me up a few nicer cloths for Tanzania.

Jim and I left Karamoja around 4:30. The drive was very nice. We followed a rain storm all the way into Mbale so there wasn’t any dust although the roads were a bit slick but only in one or two spots. Jim and I talked all the way down. Pretty much constantly for about two and some hours. Sharing our feelings. Very manly. In the ditches in the side of the road there was water running. It’s amazing how fast water here disappears. It can be gone in hours after an incredibly heavy rain.

For dinner that night we ate at the landmark with Andrew and Derek who administrates the children’s’ hospital, Cure. He also brought two medical students who had been he helping him. Excellent meal. Very nice. Derek is a really cool guy and he reminds me of a PE teacher I had in high school. Tall, lanky, and a really laid back personality.

After dinner we went back to Andrew’s house to crash and I had a hot bath for the first time in heavens knows how long. Absolutely an amazing experience. Almost religious. I found a couple dead cockroaches floating in the water. Presumably living in the drain. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment