Friday, September 18, 2009

Of Sliced Bread and How To Win White Women

September 16th-17th: Wednesday-Thursday

African sliced bread is very interesting. The heels of each loaf are generally at least an inch wide if not wider. It seems to me it would be more practical to cut the loaf into more slices but it seems that is not possible. maybe the bread people think that if there are less slices then people will have to buy more loafs. Perhaps it’s a calorie counting thing. Because one big slice of cake has less calories than lots of slices right?

Running the last two days has been really rough. I have been waking up early and running in the morning. On Tuesday I did 100 lunges, 5 sets of 20 reps, in my run. I have been so sore the last two days I can barely run. I don’t seem to have a lot of energy either.

Thursday I went to town to explore a new part of town where I say some very promising looking book stores. Hopefully one of them has a map of Tanzania. On my way into town I got a buddy. As a white guy I tend to get theses guys who come to me and talk very nicely but they always have an agenda and their trying to get something out of me. Well this guys name was Eddington (haha) and he tried to get me to give him several things. First he tried to get me to write his book report for school. No joke. I have no idea why he thought I would agree to do this for him. It’s definitely the strangest request anyone has ever made of me. Second, after that failed, he tried to get me to buy him lunch. Fat chance.

After that our conversation changed to women. He asked me if I had a girlfriend. I told him no. he didn’t believe me. He apparently had never met a white guy without a girlfriend. Haha. I asked him if he had a girlfriend. He said no. I asked him why not, he was 17 so he was old enough (he also told me you had to be 25 before you could get married in Tanzania). He said he wanted a white girlfriend. Then he subtly asked me if I had a sister. Smooth Eddington. Eventually he told me in not too many words that he wanted me to hook him up with a white girlfriend. This out of all the requests I’ve had is actually the one I couldn’t have done if I wanted to. I don’t know any white girls in Tanzania. I told him if he wanted a white girlfriend he needed to buy some chocolates and flowers and go and give them to the girl he wanted and she wouldn’t be able to say no. I hope he tries it.

During this time I had tried several book stores I had located in an unexplored part of town and come up empty on a map of Tanzania. What kind of country doesn’t even have a map of itself? By the way these book shops on Africa are the most depressing things ever. There little and generally there are maybe 200-300 books in them and most of them are school books and weird Christian books. Finally Eddington helped me locate a book store with several maps. Woohoo! Victory! Thank you Eddington. After that I went to the internet cafĂ© where Eddington followed me inside and sat down next to me as I got on the computer. It was kinda awkward. I had to turn to him and ask him to leave. Weird. After that I went to the Mo Town Car Wash and sat down in its restaurant and drank a soda and watched a football (soccer) game.

2 comments:

  1. hilarious. this time no spelling corrections just appreciation :) hope bwana Eddington tries your advice

    ReplyDelete