Saturday, September 5, 2009

In Which I Experience Time Travel And Eat Ice Cream

in Which I August 28th-30th: Friday-Sunday

Bob Wright has strained his back recently. So keep him in your prayers and me too. Now that Bob shouldn’t lift anything heavy I have had to carry around the mig welder which weighs something like 80 pounds or something equally insane. More than half my weight actually. Friday and Saturday we extended the roof over the workshop which means hauling up the welder so Bob can weld all the support beams in place. It actually hasn’t been that bad I am just complaining.

Saturday afternoon I the Tricaricos got back from their family holiday in Jinja and they brought me two packages that had arrived for me. One from my Family contained some candy and a few miscellaneous things I had forgotten. The other was completely unexpected and came from my cousin, Carrie Jean and her husband Mark. It contained more candy and some flavor packets and two key chain-nerf guns with a dart refill pack with glow in the dark darts. It’s better than Christmas. So thank you guys for thinking of me.

That afternoon and evening I packed. Deciding what I needed to take and what could be left in Karamoja; Jim promised to keep the stuff I’m leaving. Jimbo came out with James to keep me company which was really nice because packing to leave was getting me down quite a bit. I finally finished packing everything at about 9:00 that night after taking a break for dinner. It’s amazing how much stuff it seems like I have when you put it all together but it still is about two big suitcases and a backpack.

Sunday Craig, Kris and I left right after church in order to get to Entebbe before nightfall. Church that morning was really cool because a whole bunch of people showed up. A lot of people from the clinic came which really encouraged me because they as a group hadn’t come in a few weeks. The church was packed and overflowing. A great way to leave.

The drive down to Entebbe takes about 8 hours. We left before noon and arrived shortly before dark so about 7:30. Driving down is kind off like time traveling. You begin in Karamoja a land of bows and arrows and were pants aren’t a necessity and you travel to Mbale were you can see people dressed in western clothing and driving cars. Then on to Jinja where you see some factories and a tourist trade and finally you reach Kampala of skyscrapers and fancy hotels. Or you can see the evolution of the road. From a nasty dirt road full of pot holes then into a really bad paved road still with bad potholes. Shortly after Jinja lines on the road make their first appearance. Then before Jinja the road makes the evolutionary jump to a two lane highway. Finally in Entebbe you see three lane highway and roads. Throughout the entire evolution of the road though the bad driver has remained the same. Oh he may have changed from a beat up jeep to a shiny new sports car but he still has no idea what he’s doing and he’ll cut you off anytime he feels like it. Jerks resist the evolutionary drive.

That evening the Eldeens and I ate dinner at a Chinese Resturaunt. I had sweet and sour chicken with fried noodles and vegetables and eggrolls. It was really good. We stayed at Entebbe flight which is about a 5 minute drive from the airport. I crossed the street after dinner and went to the pearl supermarket and picked up a few things I needed. Razor, fingernail clippers, ice cream. The essentials. That evening I watched international football (soccer) tell very late.

No comments:

Post a Comment