Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's Alive...

Wow. with all the excitement of being sick last week i forgot a wonderful little adventure that must be shared.

It all began innocently enough one fine day shortly after I fell ill. I happened to notice a blister on my foot. because it didn't hurt and I had more pressing things to worry about like whether or not I was going to throw up soon I ignored it. All continued pleasantly and on Thursday after work i began to wonder if my "blister" might be something a little more sinister. it had changed hardly at all in the last few days. it was small and hard with a little black spot in the middle.

Hoping to confirm or deny my suspicious once and for all I went and found some Karamojan workers. I then sought their counsel and experience as to whether my blister were in fact only a blister or, in fact a jigger. My worst inklings were confirmed when the Karamojans promptly left and return with a thorn. then they briskly and skillfully dug out of my foot a small worm like little creatter and its eggs. It looked remarkably like a booger covered in tiny pieces of rice.

I think this story shows along with the one of many uses for thorn trees beside falling into them is how i have come to embrace Africa and it, in its own special way, has come to embrace me.

3 comments: