Sunday, August 23, 2009

Why African Eggs Stink

August 20th-21st: Thursday-Friday


Thursday morning Bob, James, Bobby, and I went over to the Okkens because they jad two trees blown over in the storm last night. One was almost completely fallen except for the trunk and one branch. The other was a eucalyptus tree and about haif of that one had fallen. Bob had two saws, one battery powered and the other electric so we used those to cut everything up and decided to finish cutting down the little tree because is was termite eaten anyway. That was really fun although a lot of work and kinda sad that we had to cut down the trees. We also fixed the fence that the little tree crushed when it fell. That afternoon we cleaned out another shipping container that we’ll move over by the workshop so there’ll be four. Friday then we moved the container. Bob and Craig jacked it up and slid an axel underneath and then pulled it over with the Kubota. Then Moses and I moved all the metal tubing, corner iron, and miselaneous metal from the top of the old shipping container into the inside of the newly moved container. A lot of work but worth it now that everything is organized and looks good. Friday I watched Bob take apart a generator which was cool because he let me ask questions and learn from him.


Thursday James, the Tricaricos and I went over to the Okkens’ for dinner. Sunshine made stroganoff which was amazing. Served on mashed potatoes. I ate quite a bit although still not up to my usual amount. After dinner I sat on the couch and played with the kids. Very fun. These little guys are hilarious. Megan who is three or four I think has a speech problem. She tends to leave out her consonants so she’ll only say the vowels in words. “how are you” becomes something like “ow a oo?”. It reminds of that scene in Finding Nemo when the little baby turtle is explaing to Nemo’s Dad how to exit from the WAC and Marlin says to the blue fish “It’s like he’s trying to talk to me” then to the turtle “Your so cute but I can’t understand you!”. That’s the way I feel around Megan.


Friday after work Jim and I dinner. Jim had made coffee cake the day before and we fried up some carrots and onions along with eggs. Jim managed to make me an egg over easy with a runny yoke which has proven to be pretty much impossible here. I don’t know what the deal is with the eggs here but they all have weak yokes. Its nearly impossible though to cook an egg with a runny yokes because the eggs yokes either commit a kind of egg suicide and break themselves or they just cook through for no apparent reason. I miss American eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment