Wednesday, August 12, 2009

In Which I Eat Snickerdoodles and Watch A Scary Movie

August 6th-8th: Thursday-Saturday


Thursday and Friday I cut sorghum all day. Thursday we ate all the potato chips at lunch so now James and I need to make more for Friday night which is going to be our guy night/sleep over deal. Oh well, I guess I could make more. We got another two kilos and cooked them up after work on Friday. I am going to get horrible clogged arteries and put on weight now. I guess once an American always an American. Thursday night we ate at the Okkens which was delicious as usual. Then after dinner we watched Blue Planet which was pretty cool even though I kept dozing off during it.


Friday after work and James and I fried up the potato chips all the Tricaricos, Kim, Mark, and I went over to the Wrights for dinner. We had tacos which were absolutely amazing. Then after dinner we watched Cloverfield which is one of my favorite movies of all time. Partly it’s the really cool plot. Partly the unique way of telling the story and partly the characters. Also the story within a much larger story and lastly the tragedy of the ending. I love tragedys. That’s the problem with so many movies now is that the directors or story writers are afraid to not have a happy ending. After we watched Cloverfield James, Bobby, and I went back to the main house and had potato chips and stonies and watched The Dark Night. We didn’t finish though because both Bobby and James feel asleep. So we turned it off and will finish some other night.


Worked a half day Saturday. Cut sorghum in the morning and then in the afternoon I made bread. Brought my computer into the kitchen and listened to Weezer and The Bravery and baked. I also made a loaf of banana bread for my contribution to the Saturday night dinner. Got the Recipe from Kris who got it from the cookbook our church made. Really good recipe although I had a slight problem. The propane ran out about half way through cooking it so it was half cooked and then it cooled and I put it back in and it turned out ok. However when I finally pulled it out of the oven and then flipped it over the entire middle just fell out. So it tasted fine but it looked like someone had taken a bite out of the middle of it.


That night Bob Wright got back with John Bacon and we had a community meal. It was very good. Chicken, sausage, pasta salad, baked potatoes, and Kris put apples and brown sugar in a pumpkin shell and then baked it. Oh, and my banana bread too. So dinner was amazing but dessert was to die for. Blondies and snickerdoodles. That’s right snickerdoodles. Yeah. After dinner I went to the Wrights and watched the village which was a little disappointing although I’m glad I finally got to see it because I had seen the first ten minutes about three years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Did I tell you I watched Cloverfield in Costa Rica? I really liked it. It was a monster movie, but told in such an unusual way. I thought it was really creative. Also, I can relate on the banana bread. Similar experience cooking in Costa Rica. As long as it's edible, right?

    ReplyDelete