Monday, August 17, 2009

In Which I Am Sick

August 10th-14th Monday-Friday


I’m sick. It sucks being sick without my mom. Its interesting that sickness, at least for me, follows a pattern. The first day I wake up and am feeling sick is generally bummer but also I’m kinda happy because then I can just go back to bed and I don’t have to face the world until tomorrow at the soonest. After that there’s the time where you are still tired but you can sleep for only so many hours during a day you watch movies and pass the time reading. Then comes the part were being sick is a prison sentence and you just want to get out and go back to your life. Finally there is the part were you are back at your life and you still feel kinda lousy and your always tired and grumpy. Bletch


Monday was the first stage. I woke up feeling pretty bad and went down with Jim to get tested for Malaria. Negative test. So I went back and slept for three hours. Then I decided to skip to step four and get back to my life and work that afternoon which left me completely exhausted. Dead on my feet. Tuesday a return to step one and then a progression to step two when I went to Jim’s room and watched We Were Soldiers. Slept that afternoon which is kinda a half step backward. But that afternoon I had trace feelings of step three; the desire to return to normal life. Wednesday mainly step two but also with overplaying feelings of step three combined with exhaustion generally associated with step one. Thursday and Friday marked return to life and work and the completion of the steps by finally and firmly arriving at step four; sub par is the overwhelming feeling here.


Some brief highlights of my wonder week of being sick


-Monday morning: Jim is trying to examine me and neither of us can stop laughing long enough for him to check my heart beat.

-Monday night: Guys night! Beer, chips, and chocolate. Had a new beer, Tusker, really good.

-Tuesday afternoonish: watched We Were Soldiers which I had never seen and thought it was pretty good.

-Tuesday night: Ate at the Tricarico’s and ate some delicious pasta, with sausage, and garlic bread.

-Wednesday morning: I went and got tested for malaria again. Yippee for me, negative again. I wish it was just malaria then I could get on the pills and be over it in two days.

-Wednesday morning:(later) Kris gives me an unidentified packet of Arab Cup o’Soup. Consists mainly of curry flavored broth and little crunchy things and weird noodles.

-Wednesday day: I sweat and stink, unpleasant being me. Losing hope.

-Wednesday afternoon: got on face book and made contact with the outside world. Faith restored. Life worth continuing.

-Thursday Day:(sunlit hours)worked. Felt sup par. Tired. Stupor. Exhausted. Joyless. Meandering. Long. Bletch.

-Thursday Night:(part without sun)Kris made an amazing dinner and dessert. Pineapple and blueberry thing. I think I need to become nocturnal because the nights are much better than the days.

-Friday morning: theory of sunlit hours are bad continues.

-Friday afternoon: have to rethink theory. Took a lovely nap. Then I made really yummy crackers, frosting, and shortbread dough.

-Friday evening: Johan provided dinner for all the clinic workers because he leaves on Monday. Lots of fun and good food.

Friday night: night is still better. Baked shortbread cookies. Frosted them. Super yummy.


Well I hoped you enjoyed this post and now feel sufficiently sorry for me. To make it up you can mail me care packages. Thanks


1 comment:

  1. Jacob, your dad was chuckling in his office reading your blog, so I had to read it. I was laughing, too, and really feeling sorry for you, but then it faded. If you really want us to feel sorry for you, you shouldn't include such vivid descriptions of delicious food .... ;)
    -- Kris Hart

    ReplyDelete