Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tails of Exploration and Discovery and New People Come

July 17th-18th : Friday-Saturday


This Friday there was no work to be done so I had a day off. James and I decided to organize an expedition  to a small hill about 2 kilometers from the compound that has a bunch of little caves. We planned to leave around 11:00. Originally Maria was going to come as well but she woke up really sick that morning. 


I made bread that morning. It took me a couple hours but it turned out looking and tasting really good. While making bread I listened to the Mbale mixes that James and I ordered. I only recognized some James Blunt and one Smashmouth song. I also caught up completely on blogging for the first time ever. James and I packed lunch, 6 peanut butter and plum jelly sandwiches, 3 apples, 3 passion fruits, a roll of crackers, and a bag of g-nuts. We also packed 5½ liters of water. Right on time James, Kosmos, and I left. We got to the top at 11:45 and ate lunch. Then we explored tell 2:05 when we headed back because Kosmos had to get back to translate for bible study. Using the rope we were able to explore several caves and Kosmos says he say python poop in one. Then later he thought he found a python. I thought it was a tree root. The Karamojan are really scared of snakes so while I will take Kosmos’ word on anything else I still think it was a tree root. 


When we arrived back the Eldeens, Jim, Johan, and the new group had arrived back. There are six of them and there names go something like this Peter, Mark, Hannah, Marisa, Jennifer, and Rebecca. I think. They all went to the bible study in Copatatun and Jim and I went on a run. James is really shy around visitors and just avoids them at all costs. 


Saturday morning I woke early to get on Jim’s computer but he was scyping his parents and there wasn’t enough power so I couldn’t get on. Which was fine. That morning after uncovering the hibiscus to dry in the sun we dug up the electrical line from the solar panels to the water pump because it wasn’t working. Friday we ran out of water and had to go get some from the Okkens for dinner. I had filled up my sun shower in the morning and kinda felt bad because none of the visitors could shower but I was all sweaty from hiking and running so I only felt a little bad. I gave half my sun shower to James. As it turns out the problem was that bugs had been burrowing into the wire and ruined one but Craig switched the ground and the hot wires and got the pump going. 


That afternoon we played a game of volleyball even though it started to rain. Craig had Kosmos play and he is really good. Jim and I went for a fun in the rain and it was a blast. I did find a slippery spot and fell though and scrapped my knee. It’s all good though. 


That night we had another community dinner. Tacos. The Wrights were back and they brought Andrew, the New Zealander, from Mbale. The food was really good and I got to hang out with the Wright kids who are pretty cool. I also got Craig to promise me a haircut this week. My hair is just getting really long. I don’t have the time every morning to fix it and its just taking too much time in my schedule. That night I was finally able to get on to Jim’s computer which I did for almost three hours. I was able to get caught up on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment