Saturday, July 18, 2009

In Which I Tell Of Dreams And Chameleon Wrangling And Prababley Talk Too Much And Miss-Spell Much

July 8th-10th: Wednesday-Friday


I left home one month ago. It seems a long time ago. The last three days I have been getting up at five to go to room 4 and listen to music and type my blog. Also Jim has let me get on his computer and do email and facebook. 


I am on an anti-malaria medicine here called Mephaquin which has given me some crazy dreams. At least a half dozen times I have dreamt that I was back in America for whatever reason. Always though it’s just like a quick trip back for something. One time it was a wedding. Another time I ran out of cloths. I have had stranger dreams. One time a few weeks ago I dreamt that I was staying with an esteemed scientist and his family and a worm hole opened in their dining room in order to suck up their little boy. Now my best friend and I knew that the black hole was their to suck up the boy and transport him to where they were destroying the universe so he could help them. The reason being that this boy was holding the universe together. With me so far? So my buddy handed me a shotgun and I jumped through the wormhole in order to stop them. My friend was kinda distracted because he was collecting the black hole goop. “If we ever get out of here alive this will be worth a fortune” he said to me which seemed to be a little mistake in priority to me but he is my best friend so what could I say? So I jumped through to this barren ice planet and find nine extraterrestrial beings and a giant glass and steel structure going about unraveling the universe. I only had two shots and they had just spotted me when I woke up. I have a dream like that every night. It’s pretty cool. 


Jim and I ran to cacamongoli Wednesday. It’s flat. A nice long run though. Friday we ran Doctor’s corner and three minutes into the run we found a chameleon crossing the path. So Jimbo scooped him up and proceeded to carry him for the rest of the run. The little guy kept trying to escape so Jim had to keep rotating his hand and arm so the guy wouldn’t fall off. Eventually the chameleon resigned to his fate and hung on with a sort of grim determination. It’s great because people here already think we’re crazy running for no reason so we can do whatever we want pretty much. Some of the people’s reactions were pretty funny. These two old guys started pointing at us and yelling “Aga! Aga!” which is the Karamojan word for chameleon. Another girl just stared at us, slack jawed, as we ran by and didn’t respond to our greeting. 


Craig planted Hybiscus, which is a plant that you harvest and use to make tea. He will sell it to a company in Jinga (pronounced “gin-ja”). Hibiscus can be picked weekly for about 8 weeks because all the flowers don’t ripen at the same time. We picked Hibiscus first Monday and then again Friday. After we pick it we have to separate it. The outside of the flower has to be cut apart from the seed pod in the middle and then dried. The outside is then sold and made into tea. The seed pod is also dried and then harvested for the seed for replanting. Also we are starting to pick beans. Because of the lack of rains this year none of the crops are doing well but they are producing a little. 


Just a quick food update since I know your all dying to hear what I’ve been eating. Recently we have made BBQ chicken for dinner and pizza. We made two kinds of pizza: one pepperoni and then a BBQ sauce based chicken one with onions and green peppers. Yum. I tried an Australian beer called Fosters when we ate at the Tricaricos on Thursday. 

1 comment: