Friday, July 3, 2009

Of Blisters and Road Kill

June 22nd-23rd: Monday and Tuesday 


I have 13 blisters. Some are new. Some are old. Some are red and some are white. Some hurt and, oh they all hurt. We finished laying bricks for the banda on Monday and are now digging the foundation for another two bandas. Most of the Karamojan workers here are very lazy. They have been digging a trench since last Thursday and in one day we have almost caught up with them. 


James Tricarico and I have been trying to make some home made beef jerky. The plan was to buy some dried meat from the market. Apparently the locals say antelope is the best. Of course it is also illegal to kill antelope here. James has been trying to get a hold of some for about a week and on Tuesday he succeeded. Its cow meat thankfully so we won’t have the Ugandan army bursting in and arresting us for illegal activities. James showed me the meat and it looks like road kill. And it smells like African road kill. It also tastes what I would imagine road kill would taste like. I think it’s road kill. We decided to marinate it over night. We concocted a marinade consisting of BBQ sauce (for flavor), liquid smoke, pepper (for kick), salt (to preserve it although I think it already smells rotten but James assures me it’s fresh), and pineapple juice (to tenderize) We’re keeping our fingers crossed. 


I have been eating well this week. We have had too community dinners right in a row which is very unusual but Mark the head honcho for the missionaries was here. He took pictures his entire visit. Tuesday evening he took pictures of us playing Bache ball at the fellowship time before dinner. He had us all hide our beers but he caught James stealing a drink of his Dad’s beer behind his back. I lost several pounds shortly after getting here. It’s weird because I think I eat about twice as much here. Jim says that he always loses weight and not to worry about it. So don’t worry about it mom. Monday Emily Tricarico went on a cooking rampage and made tortillas and pineapple salsa for lunch. It was incredibly delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment