Monday, October 5, 2009

Team Friesen United For 2009 Kili Climb and Steve is Here Too

October 2nd-3rd: Friday and Saturday

Friday morning I taught at the school as usual. In the after noon I consolidated my Christmas gifts for my family. Really excited to give them. Packed my backpack for overnight. I went to prayers and then shortly after we started Unity, Grace, Gloria, and I left to go to the Lutheran guesthouse were my dad I will be staying. Dropped off my bag. Met Steve, husband to my Dad’s assistant (she’s a secretary but I think that term is now sexist and ourdated). Steve is spending a year in country teaching at a school in Babatu, which is in the middle of the country.

We left shortly after 6:30 to go pick up my dad at the Kilimanjaro National Airport. The ride there took about an hour during which I got to talk to steve who is a really cool guy with a lot of experience and wisdom. My dad’s plan was scheduled to arrive at 7:45. so it arrived as expected shortly after 8:00. we waited for some 40 minutes for my dad to finally appear. I gave him a big hug.

We drove back to the guest house and ate dinner there with steve. Then my dad and I crashed in our room were we partially unpacked and he revealed a container of my mother’s snickerdoodle cookies which had been baked only a day earlier. Tastes like home. I need to thank everyone who contributed movies, cards, and candies for me. everything is greatly appreciated and I thank you for the time and money you spent. I look forward to sitting down to a good movie and breaking out some American candy.

The next day I woke early and did my devotions and caught up on my journal. My father was finally roused by steve knocking on the door inviting us to breakfast. My father showered and dressed and we went and ate a sparse but good breakfast. That morning the three of us walked around town running some errands of steve’s, exchanging money for my dad, and emailing my mother. We ate lunch at a coffee shop on steve’s recommendation where I had a very good cold sandwitch and my father braved a pizza which was actually pretty good. Then my dad and I returned to our room to sort our climbing gear. After that we walked to Unity’s house to get some cloths I needed and dad was able to meet some of the people hanging around.

It is strange to walk Moshi with someone else and not by myself. The things I am used to stand out to my father such as the poverty and dirt and I am able to talk and express my thoughts to someone for the first time about my life here. I showed my dad Unity’s house, my room and the church/school.

That night for dinner we went to Deli Chez and had a delicious meal. I had a BBQ chicken pizza which’s crust was identical to Naan. My dad got a pepper steak with mash potatoes. Having my father here is an incredible blessing. Having a companion to share all the adventures of a day. Not eating alone in a resturaunt. Hearing stories about our family. Talking about my future and what I want to do with my life. Trying food together. Exploring Moshi. I realize how lonely I have been and I thank God he has kept me content.
My dad brought a book called “Tourist Route” my @$$. The book is only about 60 pages and it tells the story of a man who on a whim decided to climb kili with a few friends. His humorous adventure have excited and prepared me for the climb ahead. He explains how actually difficult climbing kili is because of the altitude and has raised my awareness and determination to reach the summit.

1 comment:

  1. So LOVE reading the blogs!! My lunch hour pastime! Wish I had thought to send treats with your dad...either way, white rolls and jam await you when you finally get back home. Praying for the trek up the mountain.

    ReplyDelete