Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Continued Confusion of the Europeans and New Levels of Modesty

Day 3: 12,336 ft -15,518

We were again woken at 6:00 by Emmanuel and his tray and thermos. After washing and breakfast we started hiking at 7:30. We climbed steadily all morning rising out of the heath and moorland and into the alpine desert of rock and sparse, hardy flowers. The mountain now towers above us. The steep trails leading to the crater rim clearly visible in the morning light. The clouds are all still far below us. Blotting out the rest of Africa.

We passed through the saddle between Kilimanjaro’s smaller, jagged peak, Mt. Mawenzi and Kibo. Here past climbers have assembled rocks into words and messages. We stopped for lunch in sight of Kibo huts at the base of the steep sides of the crater which rose another 3,800 feet above them. The pick nick tables at this point were thinner than the seats of the first day, barely 8 inches across. The seats were less than half a foot. I guess along with the decrease in air pressure the size of tables also shrinks. Lunch was unremarkable except that a bar of Cadburys chocolate was provided for dessert which was greatly appreciated.

The last mile to Kibo huts we gained nearly 1000 feet and Calvin and Stephen took it pole pole. Kibo huts sit at the foot of the steep sides of the crater. These huts are much different then the previous huts. There are three main buildings. The guide huts, the porter huts, and the largest, climbers hut. These building are made of stone and look like they could withstand a nuclear holocaust. The climbers hut consists of 5 large rooms with 6 bunk beds in each and another room with tables. Our room was nearly full with my dad and I, two Australian guys, and 7 Swedes; two of whom were women my mothers age.

A quick word on Europeans. I have mentioned the apparent disregard as for European distinction between a separate male and female bathroom. They seem to also have a different sense of modesty. Upon my Arrival at Horombo huts I happened to see a lady older than my mother calmly walking back to her cabin without any pants on. The 2 Swedish ladies in our cabin seemed agree with this level of modesty. Did I mention they were my mother’s age? Again not to beat the point to death but one of the larger Swedish gentlemen seemed to thing it was more comfortable to spend the morning after our assent in his Speedo like underwear. I guess they were probably cheap if he paid for the amount of material they were made out of.

My dad and I went to bed after eating at 5:00. The Swedes meanwhile seemed to think this was a good time to sort all their gear. I suppose the altitude was getting to me since I was unable to fall asleep despite having hiked all day. I think I managed to catch a few hours sometime between the Swedes finally going to bed and their guide waking them up at 11:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment