Sunday, October 18, 2009

Life Returns to Normal and A Death Day In Tanzania

October 12th- 14th: Monday-Wednesday

Monday morning my dad and I got up early and met Unity who was giving my dad a ride to the airport. We spent a few interesting moments trying to locate my dad’s underwear that was supposed to be ready last night. I hugged my dad goodbye and he disappeared into the airport.

I spent that day getting situated back into my room at Unity’s. I needed t sort everything that my dad had brought for me and get settled back in. that afternoon I went to easycom and got caught up on all the email that had accumulated since climbing kili. During the descent from kili I learned something interesting about my boots. Every time I took a step downhill my toes would jam into the toe of my boot resulting in an n incredible amount of pain. By the end of the first day they were tender and I a little loose. By the second day they had swollen and huge pools of pus had formed under my two bug toes. They were loose but not enough for my to rip them off then and there.

It was great to get back to school Tuesday. I forgot how much I missed the little guys. I helped out in Glady’s class as usual. During break time the kids bounced around and played managing to stomp on my tender toes at least as often as not. Thanks guys.

Wednesday was a holy day here. The death day of their first president. So no school. I spent the early morning typing up my blog on kili and then went into town. Dad had left our little backpacking pack that I had lugged to the top of kili. It’s a nice size and I think I am going to take it to Zanzibar but neither of the side pockets zippers work. So I took them into town and got them repaired at the same shop where my dad bought a shirt. Cost me less than two dollars to get them repaired. I also bought a book about 6 guys who sailed a raft from Peru to the South Sea Islands. I don’t know why yet but it looks fascinating. I also bought some cheap sandals which I hope will hold out tell after I get back to Uganda. The ones I brought to Africa don’t have a sole left.

It looks as though I need to go to Zanzibar next week if I am going to make it a four day trip. So I need to consolidate my plans. I talked to Unity that afternoon and he said that he thinks it will be fine if I go next Monday the 19th through Thursday the 22nd. It sounds as though we will be visiting widows and orphans this weekend and bringing them food and other necessities.

1 comment:

  1. I really hope Zanzibar works out - I'm praying about it!

    ReplyDelete