Thursday, February 11, 2010

Favorful Sequins

January 25th-26th: Monday and Tuesday

Monday afternoon all the MA’s and Jim piled into the decrepit green land rover and headed to Jinja for the mission retreat. That night we reached Mbale. After being sick for the entire week I was going a bit stir crazy so I talked the entire way down to Mbale. That night we ate at the landmark. The food has really improved.

Tuesday morning Jim wanted to leave early so we could get to Jiinja early and spend hours at Flavors his favorite coffee shop in all of Uganda. It’s a little slice of the west. Ironically we arrived too early and Flavors wasn’t even open. So we went to the Big Bazaar Supermarket. We stalked up on water and Jim bought some weird gum. Then we went to flavors which had just opened. I haven’t really been hungry since I became sick so Jim made me eat some of his pancakes.

Jim and heather wanted to hang out and do email but I wanted to go into the market and stuff so Jenny, Leah and I left. The market is just like I remember it from before I went to Tanzania. I don’t remember it smelling like fish so much though. Unfortunately I had to walk by the shoe ladies but I don’t think they saw me. I really wanted to buy some jeans. I only have one pair of pants and I am going to need some more for Scotland. I started looking. The jean sellers are a pretty chill group of guys. Not pushy, mellow but helpful. For the most part. They kept giving me girl jeans though. Which is all fine but I don’t have the hips. Also a lot of the jeans had like butterflies and sequins and stuff on them. What? Eventually I found the holy grail of jean stalls. This guy had no less than three pairs of jeans that where the right waist, length, color (blue jeans, not red) and best of all, men’s. He was asking outrageous prices though but I worked him down and paid about 6 dollar for them.

We checked into the kingfisher where I have a little quarter banda all to myself. Not sure why I am not rooming with Jimmy since it would be cheaper but whatever. We ate lunch as a mission. The Tricaricos, Eldeens, Wrights (except Bob who was still in Kampala picking the Wrights cousin) the Proctors, Andrew, and the MAs. Finally Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary who are on the foreign mission board for the OPC came to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment