Thursday, February 11, 2010

Don't Touch Me, i'm Hot

January 16th-17th: Saturday and Sunday

Saturday Jim and Jenny wanted to go into Mbale to visit people and I decided to tag along. we left early, driving the Okkens’ newly repaired vehicle. I had been feeling a bit under the weather when I woke up but was feeling much better now. we drove along through southern Karamoja when we encountered a problem. the car suddenly jerked and the front left side plunged downward. As we skidded to a stop something caught our eye. we watched as our front left tire bounced amiably into the field on our left. apparently Bob and Craig hadn’t tightened the lug nuts after repairing the car. however we soon had the car jacked up and with several lug nuts Jenny had found on the side of the road and a few lifted from other tires we soon had the tire remounted and were off.

we picked Laurie, the Proctar’s teacher and went to landmark fro lunch. we also met Andrew Innocent. Andrew is a long time friend of the mission who is currently going to medical school in south west Uganda and an old friend of Jim’s. Jim, Andrew and I went to go run some errands and things. I got to have several interesting conversations with him. mainly about what I want to do with my life and why I like Africa. we also got to stop by the home of the head Lab tech from Cure’s house where we met his family and stayed and talked for a while.

later that afternoon Jim and I climbed the mountain behind Mbale. it was a spectacular view and a beautiful climb. unfortunately I was feeling pretty sick at the time. we got back and after a shower and I ate a bit at the Proctar’s and then went to bed with a horrible fever. it seemed like the worst fever I have ever had. I woke a half dozen time during the night and was always too hot or cold and always wet with sweat.

the next morning we left early in order to be on time for church. I crashed out in the backseat as we drove. I spent the rest of Sunday sleeping and laying on the couch. eventually I managed to get up an
d take a shower. I had a fever again that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment