Tuesday, January 5, 2010

OK Corral, Mangoes, And Who Is The President of Canada?

December 19th-20th: Saturday-Sunday


Saturday morning Bob and I began to make adjustments on Jim’s roof. While the basic structure is solid we needed to add and subtract some to get everything strait and plum. Around 9:30 we went inside and got some water. There Martha asked if I could be liberated from work and go with her and the girls to check out this thing down at oki-dud. The visitors were returning in order to have the kids make thank you cards to give to the people who donated the relief. After my liberation I sat around and talked with the Wrights for a while tell 11:00 when the visitors were finally ready to leave. Martha, Rachel, Anna, Mary, and Katrina piled into the van and I rode with Robin and Angelic. It was fun to ride with them and to get to talk and learn about them a bit. Robin has been a missionary for 28 yrs and has smuggled bibles into China dressed as a fat person and stuff. Pretty wild.


We arrived at Ok-dude ranch and were immediately surrounded by a large crowd. Someone had spotted the football inside the visitor’s car and all the kids were asking me for it. We spread a tarp on the ground and Rachel led everyone in a couple of songs. Then everyone began writing “thank you” cards. Actually mainly everyone just drew pictures of the exact same like 5 things. A hut, a chicken, cow, a school house, or a person. Then Angelic got out some rope and they took turns jumping over it as it got higher and higher. Then they pulled out two footballs from their car and wanted to organize a game of dodge ball. But they ended up leaving the footballs there.


After our adventure at oki-dud the wrights and I stopped in Namalu at a little restaurant and had a chapatti and soda. Then we went to the little general store deal which has gotten really big since I got back from Tanzania.


That evening we had a meal to welcome Jenny’s parents and her sister Heather. After dinner I went over to the Wrights house and we watched Chicken Run. It is just about the most morbid children’s movie ever. The entire plot centers on the main characters death and being baked into pies. I guess Hansel and Gretel wasn’t that much better though?


Sunday after church Jim and I went over to Moses’ for lunch. When I got there Robert was eating mangos and he gave me a couple. Just about the best mango I have ever had. Then he Moses, Jim and I played cards. Jim taught them Spades and Hearts. Susan, Moses’ wife made lunch. We had posho, sweat potatoes, beans, eggs, tomatoes and hot sauce. It was all really good. Jim hung out tell about 3:3o and then he headed back but I stuck around for a bit. Moses Robert and I had some interesting conversations. First they talked about how white I was. But I told them that I was getting darker so I wouldn’t burn as easily. Then I told them that in America being tan is considered very attractive and people go through a lot of trouble to get tan. Then they asked “even men?” I said yes and they said “so you want to go back looking good?” the new talked about America. Apparently they were both under the impression that Obama was president over all of America, not just the United States. So then I had to explain that Canada and Mexico and South America were al different countries and stuff. I wonder though if this is a common misconception about the US and America?


After that we went to prayers. That evening at the T’s we watched a White Christmas. It’s hard to believe that Christmas is in only a few days.


2 comments: