Thursday, December 10, 2009

Peanut Cookies and Potential Peacemakers

November 14th-17th: Saturday-Tuesday


Saturday I worked a half day and in the afternoon made desert for the community meal. after pouring over my mother’s cookbook I decided what I really wanted to eat was peanut butter kiss cookies, which is a peanut butter cookie with a Hershey kiss in the middle. However due to the fact that we didn’t have any chocolate kisses I used a bag of chocolate chips. The bag was one my dad had brought from America and was already partially melted. So I finished the melting process over the stove and then as the cookies came out warm from the oven I firmly pressed a chocolate chunk into the center of each cookie. They tasted very good if I do say so myself.


That evening after eating all the children and young adults hung out afterwards. We played one of my favorite games of all time. I don’t actually remember what it’s called or if I even ever knew its name. basically if you have a stack of note card sized paper equal in number to the people playing. Then everyone rights a strange sentence on the top paper and passes it to the person on their right. That person then has to read the sentence and draw a picture of it. They then pass the stack of paper after putting the sentence on the bottom of the pile and the next person has to write a sentence from the picture. And you go all around the circle and much joy and good will is created.


Sunday afternoons all the mzungus on the mission get together for a time of singing and a short lesson from one of the pastors. We sing western songs, use guitars, and hear a message that is not overly simplified. Recently though there has been a push to include some Africans, specifically the clinic staff, in this worships time. So on Sunday William, Moses, Robert, Albert, Stella, and Rachel came. I thought it was really cool to include these guys because sometimes it feels like an us and them sort of deal here.


All the Africans were very enamored with the guitar playing. Pastor Al passed around some printed out bible verses for people to read and William on my right got one. His reference was incryptically labeled Th #:##. He asked me what Th stood for and I graciously told him it stood fro Timothy. Doubts however waged in my own mind but I decided that Timothy logically would be Th. As it turns out however Th is Thessalonians. William found it very funny that I had misled him which is really unfair.


Monday Jim left Karamoja for his 3 weeks in the US. it was a time of great sadness. that night for guys night I made beef stroganoff with rice. It turned out very good I think. The Wrights have encouraged me to do more at guys night then just eat dinner and watch a movie. I think we will try to go through the young peacemakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment